Adultwork Forum

AWF Members

HTML Image as link

Qries

Exposure
Just a question...

Everyday in the newspapers we read about murder, war, death and cruelty to fellow humans and animals.

10 years ago the newspapers would never dream of exposing the general public to such extremes as what they do today. Have we become desensitized by it?

I dislike it, I read the Daily Mail and every day there is an article with regards to animal cruelty one way or another over the weekend they published an article about a man who fed a live kitten to his pet python, but they did not just publish the article with photographs they also posted a link to the video that was on youtube. Also when Gadaffi was caught the whole capture and his ultimate execution was played and displayed on the front pages, yes the man was a tyrant but is it necessary to expose us to this?
I used to be snow white but drifted...

Unfortunately its seem this coverage sales papers. It seems the public want it as im sure they only publish this sort of things in great detail because they make more money from it.. Sad fact of how things are theses days
It's normalising it, which is a big problem. But the way the news outlets see it is that they have to have a story every day, and every day it has to be more sensational than other outlets in order to win more sales. It's a vicious cycle. The Independent isn't so bad, but I don't tend to read papers. Instead I watch Russia Today, because it has a completely different opinion/spin on the same stories as western media, so that along with BBC News lets you make up your own mind as to why things are the way they are.

Sorry, I get really wound up about the state of the world today and can go off on a rant, so I'll leave it there!! Lol!
the papers should show what is happening out in reality
(09-12-2011, 14:09)curvy crumpet Wrote: Just a question...

Everyday in the newspapers we read about murder, war, death and cruelty to fellow humans and animals.

10 years ago the newspapers would never dream of exposing the general public to such extremes as what they do today. Have we become desensitized by it?

I dislike it, I read the Daily Mail and every day there is an article with regards to animal cruelty one way or another over the weekend they published an article about a man who fed a live kitten to his pet python, but they did not just publish the article with photographs they also posted a link to the video that was on youtube. Also when Gadaffi was caught the whole capture and his ultimate execution was played and displayed on the front pages, yes the man was a tyrant but is it necessary to expose us to this?

It's sick. I had a nightmare about that kitten story. On the page before it was a horrible story about a baby boy being abused too Sad

(09-12-2011, 14:09)curvy crumpet Wrote: Just a question...

Yes I hate the way British media is going the same way as the US. It is about desensitisation as they have to come up with ever more shocking and voyeuristic content to get ratings. And once one broadcaster/paper has published something, the others have to follow suit or risk losing viewers/readers who like that sort of stuff. It was gross that the before and after footage of Gadaffi's execution was shown on the teatime news. Even if it was necessary to broadcast it (and I don't think it was), it should've been on after the watershed.
The Daily Mail is quite simply a rubbish newspaper and I refuse to read it any more as I got tired of their sensationalism, poorly written articles and being put in a bad mood all day because of some horrific story I read on their website. They never miss a chance to write articles with gruesome descriptions and photos of animal cruelty, child abuse and other vile acts, while at the same time they like to portray the DM as a newspaper for good, white, moral, middle class, tax paying, British citizens. As well as that, they never miss a chance to body critique female celebrities and post photos of them with their tits hanging out or cellulite thighs. At least the Daily star doesn't pretend to be something that it isn't.

You're right though, we are becoming desensitized to violence and it's deeply disturbing.
(16-12-2011, 00:51)Kitty Contraire Wrote: The Daily Mail is quite simply a rubbish newspaper and I refuse to read it any more as I got tired of their sensationalism, poorly written articles and being put in a bad mood all day because of some horrific story I read on their website. They never miss a chance to write articles with gruesome descriptions and photos of animal cruelty, child abuse and other vile acts,

Seconded Ma'am. The Brit press amaze me. The gutter press or the broadsheets, so extreme. But the Daily Fail. Sorry Mail. It is the Brit equivalent to our Fox News. Let's not confuse a sensational story, designed to appeal, with facts. Let's accuse someone on the front page and destroy them because they are "different" to our demographic. Then, when we are proved wrong, we can brush it under the carpet with a small, hidden apology.

This says it all really. And it's very funny.

LMAO!!! That is hilarious! Big Grin