Adultwork Forum

AWF Members

HTML Image as link

Qries

Accountancy & Tax
I can't believe that this Thread has had so few views and responses!!
It must mean that people are running the gauntlet with legal obligations, or the majority have their tax affairs in order!!! Think I know what the answer is to that one!!!
We use Friendly Accountant and he has saved us a fortune - Let alone the fact that his more than reasonable charges are Tax Deductible too ;-)
Thanks Friendly Smile

in the US there are CPA (Certified Public Accountants) and Registered Agents (people who took a test with IRS) - in UK there is not testing for titles?
(26-06-2011, 17:40)friendly accountant Wrote: Just thought I would post some useful (or boring depending upon your point of view) thoughts and bits of information:

The title accountant is NOT a protected title; therefore anybody can call themselves accountants.

Not all accountants are equal; one working for a local council will have very different knowledge to one who runs their own accountancy practice and deals with sole traders through to large Ltd Companies.

A "proper regulated" accountant will have undergone extensive training and exams and must hold a practising certificate from their institute. This means they have PI insurance and have proved to their institute that they will adhere to the institutes strict code of conduct when dealing with clients.

This means they will issue you an engagement letter etc outlining what to expect and where to complain.

A "proper regulated accountant" will have no trouble proving their credentials when asked by a client.

Tax law is the same for all taxpayers - irrespective of what the tax payer does for a living.

These are all issues that I have come across (from clients who have been badly advised in the past by "so called accountants") and thought it worth sharing them.

I hate "professionals" who aren't professional and I am proud of my qualifications.Rolleyes and the service I give.

Hi Friendly
It looks like we are in the same business. I hadn't thought of listing my services on here or forums similar to this.
As a fellow accountant I can only confirm what friendly has put is correct. I have my practice licence, PI, MLR etc etc and it is so frustrating when I hear of many who offer these services without gaining the necessary training etc and then leave their clients in a mess, and usually with a huge tax bill. It give us genuine accountants a bad name but I guess that is the same in all lines of work.
Regards
There is a US CPA who does lots ladies in adult in US and Canada. http://taxdomme.com/

she used to post all the time on a PSO forum - its part of business Smile I think its nice you are posting here
Sweetestmel......

Unfortunately ANYBODY can claim to be an accountant --- and some of them really should not be allowed too! I knew of a lady who was using a friend (who claimed to be experienced) to do her tax. The friend had no idea about our tax system and I reckon the lady was overpaying tax by about £3k per annum.

The motto - if you want to be legit and minimise your tax - use a Proper accountant
Thanks Sweetest...

I make no differential as to what my clients do for a living...as long as it's legal.

Most of my adult industry clients are very pleasant to work with and they are just a normal client to me.

(27-06-2011, 18:59)friendly accountant Wrote: Sweetestmel......

Unfortunately ANYBODY can claim to be an accountant --- and some of them really should not be allowed too! I knew of a lady who was using a friend (who claimed to be experienced) to do her tax. The friend had no idea about our tax system and I reckon the lady was overpaying tax by about £3k per annum.

The motto - if you want to be legit and minimise your tax - use a Proper accountant

As someone who isnt an accountant, I can only confirm what has been said - you ladies do need a qualified accountant if you are trading in a leagal an professional way (which I am sure you all are!) and you too could be claiming back what is rightfully yours!
Now if you ever need advice on farming.............................
Monty, how do you get Irish farmers to clean their dicks?
(30-06-2011, 15:49)ShySmile Wrote: Monty, how do you get Irish farmers to clean their dicks?

Jeez what a question to ask?? Porbably suggest they clean their dicks with the same stuff they clean the cows' udders - kills all known germs Big Grin
I'm sorry Monty, it is a farming related query! It was a question at the forefront of my mind a lot recently. I won't go into details.
Maybe I'll tell them that if they don't do it themselves I will do it for them. Just send me the details of udder cleaner and I'll put some on order.
Just thought I would bump this back up and also send a gentle reminder to all those people who haven't yet completed their tax return for the year ending 31st March 2011.

It's due by 31st January 2012 at the LATEST. Miss the deadline and you get an automatic penalty from HMRC.

Any queries/questions - please feel free to pm me.

Don't let Mr Scrooge the taxman spoil your happy new year!