Adultwork Forum

AWF Members

HTML Image as link

Qries

Are We Thick?
(26-11-2011, 12:32)wife4rent Wrote: I fully understand the 1/2 minute re cap on programmes that may be a week in between watching or even the next day, like the recent "The Jury" on ITV, but at every interval, before and after, does get annoying.

The Jury was one of Tv.'s better drama series, we had it on Sky+ and watched it back2back

Sarah

I agree about The Jury, it was brilliant. I was a day behind watching that, so managed to cut the crap out of it, but quite liked the recaps with that, as it consolidated what I thought I understood so far.
I'm the biggest thick shit ever now thats heather Smile
CHECK OUT MY AW PROFILE:

http://www.adultwork.com/ViewProfile.asp?UserID=503569

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: @AW_Edwards

xXx H xXx

(26-11-2011, 04:42)Ana_X Wrote:
(26-11-2011, 03:35)wife4rent Wrote: So why do they feel the need to spend a minute+ before every advert break telling you what is coming up and then another minute+ after the adverts telling you what happened just a few minutes before?

I have always suspected that the 'coming up next' moment is to keep viewers gripped to ensure they continue watching the show after the adverts, and that the 'previously' recap is meant to engage viewers who may have just tuned in by filling them in on what they had previously missed, to encourage those to watch the show to it's completion.

It's all about ratings in the end really, which determine if a television or radio broadcast is viable for future production or if it will be cut.

So whilst I don't think that the directors and producers of such shows assume their target audience are thick, I do agree that these little segments can be sometimes rather annoying.

Totally agree they 'update' us for these reasons... Also if you watch alot of reality TV you will notice how much of it is time filler... And how little of it is actual content... I guess without these little scripted updates they'd be left with an extra 10 min of time to fill... With what? There is nothing!!
I struggle with the four channels I get on the TV, without the 1000's available on satellite! Yes I do have a freesat but have managed to tune it into the continental one instead of the british one. We have 400 other channels, 385 of which are in foreign languages. Not much good to someone who, when speaking to a frenchman, raises his voice and speaks slowly with lots of arm gestures! (no-one told me to speak in their language!)

As you might have guessed, technology and I do not really gel. I know my way round a computer but, the washing machine can be a challenge if I need a different programme, and, as for my phone, well where do I start?

Updates on programmes like the Hotel Inspector can be irritating to some but also can be really useful - particularly if cought short mid programme.
I use sky plus to skip the adverts but why do we have to have so many reality programmes
[Image: 1o8w5awg23aeedjpukvy.jpg]

(26-11-2011, 04:10)davidseven Wrote: A 'comprehensive' education system that has betrayed generations of children, with prizes for all, and exams shorn of rigour are the main cause.
One could argue that a dumb sheep like populace is the ideal outcome for a political class who would prefer we don't ask difficult questions about where the tax revenues go, Middle Eastern adventures and a fascist EU dictating to our Parliament.

They have the voting on X factor and Katie Price's sex life to worry about instead. Tongue

David you are so right. What the political class have missed on though with this policy is that there will be no leaders in the future, which is why the world is going down the toilet rapidly.

If you look at history, the Roman and Greek civilizations grew to phenomenal sophistication. We have gone far further, but I fear we may be reaching the point when our current civilisation runs out of steam, and we'll descend back into the Dark Ages again very soon. Depressing stuff, so all the more reason to make the most of our own time on the planet while we can.

Gather round girls - let's go out with a bang!
I just want to have fun Tongue
(28-11-2011, 23:09)Nick Meanswell Wrote:
(26-11-2011, 04:10)davidseven Wrote: A 'comprehensive' education system that has betrayed generations of children, with prizes for all, and exams shorn of rigour are the main cause.
One could argue that a dumb sheep like populace is the ideal outcome for a political class who would prefer we don't ask difficult questions about where the tax revenues go, Middle Eastern adventures and a fascist EU dictating to our Parliament.

They have the voting on X factor and Katie Price's sex life to worry about instead. Tongue

David you are so right. What the political class have missed on though with this policy is that there will be no leaders in the future, which is why the world is going down the toilet rapidly.

If you look at history, the Roman and Greek civilizations grew to phenomenal sophistication. We have gone far further, but I fear we may be reaching the point when our current civilisation runs out of steam, and we'll descend back into the Dark Ages again very soon. Depressing stuff, so all the more reason to make the most of our own time on the planet while we can.

Gather round girls - let's go out with a bang!

Dunno about running out of steam Nick, I think the world will run out of resources soon and we will be forced to return to the Dark Ages in more than one way!