Adultwork Forum

AWF Members

HTML Image as link

Qries

Are you geographically challenged?
I am frequently amazed when on my travels to discover just how ignorant of their geographical surroundings people are.

For example I was up in the Wirral (that finger of land that sticks up next to Liverpool) last week and I was talking to people who had never even ventured as far as Liverpool in all their lives.

I really think it's sad that people should live their entire lives without being able to experience the diversity of different cities, different landscapes and cultures, even simply within our own sceptred isle.

I was horrified when my son told me of a discussion he'd had with his geography teacher. He told her that I was flying to Inverness, in Northern Scotland.

He was told "Oh no you must have that wrong - Inverness is Indonesia!"

Understandably my son, who is even more of a geographical swat than me, was very upset at being told he was wrong, when he knew he was right.

Is there any hope for this country?
I just want to have fun Tongue
Bahahahah! Sounds very, Indonesian to me!! What a twat!!
I wonder that too Nick. I originate from a Northern county and so many back there have the view of why would you even want to travel, and also have never ventured far. From a very early age, all I wanted to do was travel and see the world and I have. Big Grin I also have the travel edition of Trivial pursuit! He he. And have been known to spend the odd overnight flight playing 'capital city game' if I have a willing party. So what is the capital city of Mongolia? Tongue
(25-11-2011, 22:56)DivineMissG Wrote: Bahahahah! Sounds very, Indonesian to me!! What a twat!!

Shouldn't that be BAAAAALI Miss G? D?
In some ways I think it is nice that some people are happy with their lives and content with the place they grew up in. Yes the world is a small place these days, but with that comes difficulties, ie you continually have to make new friendships and relationships, ppl become anonymous and can get away with murder, as they just move on leaving devistation behind them.

You and I may enjoy experiencing the world and what it has to offer and always crave to learn that little bit more, but that does not make us right.

Does it really matter if what is important to you, is not important to someone else who is happy in their own world?
For 15 years+ I ran a business mail order and new every post code in the country off by heart, if you told me your street address I could have probably told you your post code.

How sad is that?

Sarah
(26-11-2011, 03:39)wife4rent Wrote: For 15 years+ I ran a business mail order and new every post code in the country off by heart, if you told me your street address I could have probably told you your post code.

How sad is that?

Sarah

Quite.
(25-11-2011, 22:46)Nick Meanswell Wrote: ......
He was told "Oh no you must have that wrong - Inverness is Indonesia!"

My Aunt and Uncle lived all over the world when I was growing up. They were always bringing presents from India, Pakistan, Iran, Turkey. At the age of 9 I was told they were moving to Aberdeen. I assumed it was in the Middle East.

I once (aged 10) gave a very informative and moving talk (even if I do say so myself) about my memories of a country in South America which I had lived in from the ages of 3-5. At the end of the talk my Deputy Head teacher asked me to point the country out on the map, so everyone would know where it was. HELLO, I WAS 3. I got on a plane and got off the other end. I had no clue where in the world it was actually sited! I had the long pointy stick (no doubt banned now) and was hunting through Africa on the world map on the wall!
(25-11-2011, 22:58)lafille Wrote: I wonder that too Nick. I originate from a Northern county and so many back there have the view of why would you even want to travel, and also have never ventured far. From a very early age, all I wanted to do was travel and see the world and I have. Big Grin I also have the travel edition of Trivial pursuit! He he. And have been known to spend the odd overnight flight playing 'capital city game' if I have a willing party. So what is the capital city of Mongolia? Tongue

Easy peasy lemon squeezy: Ulan Bator

I love Trivial Pursuit, I haven't played it for years!
(25-11-2011, 23:15)CurvaceousKate Wrote: In some ways I think it is nice that some people are happy with their lives and content with the place they grew up in. Yes the world is a small place these days, but with that comes difficulties, ie you continually have to make new friendships and relationships, ppl become anonymous and can get away with murder, as they just move on leaving devistation behind them.

You and I may enjoy experiencing the world and what it has to offer and always crave to learn that little bit more, but that does not make us right.

Does it really matter if what is important to you, is not important to someone else who is happy in their own world?

As usual Kate, you have put me firmly in my place! What is important to me isn't necessarily important to others. I still think it's a bit sad to not have any curiosity about places which are within reach. Even if you don't actually go there.

I do have my limits - I have no desire to go into space. I can't really comprehend life elsewhere than on this planet, and I suppose everyone's boundaries are limited by their knowledge and experience.

Thanks for grounding me again!!