Adultwork Forum

AWF Members

HTML Image as link

Qries

Food find of the day!
I was looking for something nice to dip at while on tour and didn't want to get hummus as it is so oily or phillidelphia as it's too thick and fattening for dipping and when I was in Marks & Sparks I found a dip in their deli range which is a butternut and chilli dip.

It does have some oil in it, but it is rapeseed which is one of the friendly oils and it is only 140 calories for 100g with the whole thing being 170g a tub. It's also quite high in fibre, carbs and protein.

It tastes gorgeous!!!! I would have bought carrot sticks to eat it with, but went for their cheese nachos instead, which is not so healthy lol, but at least they taste nice lol. I shall be sparing with them and you never know it might put me off the scent of that lovely pizza place I saw just up the road lol.
Houmous is a weak spot for me, I LOVE the stuff. I make my own however, so I know what's in it. I made a hot chili one the other day, and one with pesto. So yummy.
I was going to spell it like that, but wasn't sure and checked online and it was spelt the other way. Oh well! lol.

I like the one with roasted sweet onions in it. Really nice. I did try making it myself once but it didn't work out and I seemed to be putting soooo much oil into it, I felt sick looking at it.

What is your recipe?
You can spell it either way, doesn't matter which.

I use a can of chick peas, olive oil, lemon juice and a little salt. Sometimes I'll add a small blob of garlic puree, but not too much otherwise it ends up tasting like pure garlic. I'm afraid I don't measure stuff out so much, I start off with small amounts, and build it up, testing it along the way (yes I know that's greedy haha), until I get the right consistency/taste.

For the pesto one, I use a hand blender and mush up the chick peas, adding one generous teaspoon of pesto (about the only thing I measure out really), and then drizzle olive oil and keep blending until I get that creamy texture. Naturally adding lemon juice is going to alter that too, so I keep checking the flavour and such.

You can use tahini or olive oil to make it, but I prefer olive oil as it's not as fattening as tahini is. Using tahini will give it a nuttier taste though. I make the chili variety for my fella, although I don't touch that one as it's waaaaay too spicy for me. I nicknamed it Atomic Houmous, because I felt like my gob was on fire when I tried it.

I have to be careful with things as I'm diabetic, (hereditary type II) so I have learned how to make really tasty stuff and keep them healthier. I never fry anything, and I make a lot of dishes that follow a low GI rating.
(02-11-2011, 18:14)Laudanum Wrote: You can spell it either way, doesn't matter which.

I use a can of chick peas, olive oil, lemon juice and a little salt. Sometimes I'll add a small blob of garlic puree, but not too much otherwise it ends up tasting like pure garlic. I'm afraid I don't measure stuff out so much, I start off with small amounts, and build it up, testing it along the way (yes I know that's greedy haha), until I get the right consistency/taste.

For the pesto one, I use a hand blender and mush up the chick peas, adding one generous teaspoon of pesto (about the only thing I measure out really), and then drizzle olive oil and keep blending until I get that creamy texture. Naturally adding lemon juice is going to alter that too, so I keep checking the flavour and such.

You can use tahini or olive oil to make it, but I prefer olive oil as it's not as fattening as tahini is. Using tahini will give it a nuttier taste though. I make the chili variety for my fella, although I don't touch that one as it's waaaaay too spicy for me. I nicknamed it Atomic Houmous, because I felt like my gob was on fire when I tried it.

I have to be careful with things as I'm diabetic, (hereditary type II) so I have learned how to make really tasty stuff and keep them healthier. I never fry anything, and I make a lot of dishes that follow a low GI rating.

That's where I went wrong!!!! The recipe had tahini in it and I don't actually like tahini so it tasted horrible to me lol. I had hoped the flavour would disappear in the making, but no chance!

Thanks, I'll try that again when I get home as my sons going through a houmous stage and as you say it's better knowing what is in it.
(02-11-2011, 18:22)CurvaceousKate Wrote: That's where I went wrong!!!! The recipe had tahini in it and I don't actually like tahini so it tasted horrible to me lol. I had hoped the flavour would disappear in the making, but no chance!

Thanks, I'll try that again when I get home as my sons going through a houmous stage and as you say it's better knowing what is in it.

I find houmous is denser when made with tahini, and so it sits heavier on your stomach. Of course olive oil is still a fat, but it's a healthier fat, and has so many good properties. I tend to use that and rapeseed oil when cooking.
I dont really do Houmus but love an unhealthy alternative (that really isnt close but what the hell) which is taramosalata (or taramasalata). As I am on a diet, I obviously dont eat it at the moment but loved it with water biscuits. Could eat a whole tub. Would make me ill now I guess.
(02-11-2011, 18:35)monty69 Wrote: I dont really do Houmus but love an unhealthy alternative (that really isnt close but what the hell) which is taramosalata (or taramasalata). As I am on a diet, I obviously dont eat it at the moment but loved it with water biscuits. Could eat a whole tub. Would make me ill now I guess.

YES!! Love Tarama(o)salata (sp?)!!

Actually who cares about the spelling iut still tastes the same Wink
Yoghurt and mint, is great for dipping pringles in.

(02-11-2011, 18:57)DivineMissG Wrote: Actually who cares about the spelling iut still tastes the same Wink

PMSL, only lowly pedants like me!Blush
I am now getting really hungry, I feel a trip to the 'Tyne Tees Steam Shipping Company' (a great Geordie Restaurant) coming on for my Debauchery Friday Lunch!Angel
[Image: 907Digger.png]
Just here for the Banter!