Adultwork Forum

AWF Members

HTML Image as link

Qries

Contact Lenses with Astigmatism
Does anyone have any up to date experience with contact lenses when worn with astigmatism?

I tried some Toric lenses about 15 years ago and whilst they gave me 20/20 vision they were not as good as the vision I get from my glasses. (Bottom of chart and beyond!)

I'm thinking of trying them again - but won't bother if no major advances have been made. Oh and the other problem was the lens moving when you blinked due to the shape of them.

I won't consider laser surgery - If something goes wrong with that the results are not reversible. At least with glasses or lenses you can change them.

Thanks

DC
there is a thread if u dig through
I used to wear contact lenses but had to give up as they did tend to become dislodged if I wasnt careful. DCead easy to put in as I have large eyes, but also easy to blink out! Now back to glasses which are easier. With the contacts, it wasnt unknown for me to go to bed with them still in only to lose them overnight!

Never had the hard one, mine were soft lenses.
Hi Doc, I've got one toric and one ordinary on monthly disposible. Like you say, the toric one does move sometimes when I blink, but it's not really a problem -- much less of a problem than wearing specs (especially for fellacio Smile ). The thing I've noticed with today's cheapo contacts is they're less comfortable over a long day than the ones from the '90s. But then today's ones can cost as little as 50p each, when the old ones cost me £70 each. I'd suggest going for a free trial with the likes of specsavers and see how you get on.
Thanks Phil - I think that is what I am going to do. Was talking to someone at work today who also wears Torics and has been for a few years and he reckons they have gotten better.

(29-09-2011, 19:29)Phil_Hants Wrote: Hi Doc, I've got one toric and one ordinary on monthly disposible. Like you say, the toric one does move sometimes when I blink, but it's not really a problem -- much less of a problem than wearing specs (especially for fellacio Smile ). The thing I've noticed with today's cheapo contacts is they're less comfortable over a long day than the ones from the '90s. But then today's ones can cost as little as 50p each, when the old ones cost me £70 each. I'd suggest going for a free trial with the likes of specsavers and see how you get on.

My experience is from a few years ago, when I started wearing contacts (2001 maybe?) so may or may not still be the case now.

My left eye is lazy with a touch of astigmatism (when I was little I had to wear patches, and I had animal stickers to put on it too... cue... AWW!!)

Anyway, when I demanded contact lenses as a teenager, I got a normal one for my right eye, but the one for my left was horrible and thick and very expensive (and was meant to last for 2 years). I gave up using it pretty quickly because I was always aware of it, plus I didn't notice much difference from it (even glasses don't really correct the vision).

Subsequent opticians have said that I needn't bother with a lens in my bad eye, for the reason that it won't get any worse without it, and the benefits of using a lens (or even glasses) is too minimal to matter.

On the plus side, when I get contact lenses, I get them half price as they come in pairs. I supposedly have the 'exact same' needs for both eyes, so when I get a month's worth, it lasts for two!