Adultwork Forum

AWF Members

HTML Image as link

Qries

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Understanding Skype shows
I have run into this more than once and I don't know if I will get a satisfactory answer here, but where SPs are indicating that they offer DirectCam AND Skype, some will also have a statement that they can also offer Skype phone for an additional charge.

Correct me if I am wrong but Skype, at least in North America is understood by most as being FaceTime (audio and video BY DEFAULT unless you specifically are using it to call someone over the internet).  When someone says `skype' me it is understood as a face to face call. Long ago when networks were slower and less reliable, then if you did a videoconference (eg. Go To Meeting, Webex), then you would always include a landline toll-free number to provide less traffic on the network (audio) and have more reliable sound quality. This rarely happens anymore so I am still unclear what is meant when the SP says "I also offer webcam and phone together for $$$ per min.  There does not seem to be anywhere on the site that explains this confusing set of options. It almost sounds as though the audio part of skype which comes by default is an extra cost. Since Skype itself is FREE then I am even more confused at this pricing strategy.

And to make this even more suspicious (to me) the SPs will spend alot of their profile bragging about how fast their internet is and the quality of their equipment. If that were the case then even more reason what AUDIO should not be an extra charge! It is virtually impossible to be an SP in London and think that their network connection is going to be slow. Not impossible but very unlikely when considering many are working for agencies and not working at their homes. Example is below:
[Image: 1px.gif]
[Image: 1px.gif]DirectCam:
1.99 credit(s) per minute in Group Mode
2.69 credit(s) per minute in Private Mode
To book a webcam session click here

1.69 credit(s) per minute, 10 minute minimum booking length
I use [Image: yahoo.gif] Yahoo Messenger and [Image: skype.gif] Skype
I also offer webcam and phone together for 2.49 credit(s) per min.
Skype is convenient for people who want webcam shows from their mobiles/tablets etc. Skype plus phone is somewhat outdated now, it was more popular around 2008 and there abouts, you can ask if the SP is willing to provide audio along with the skype video, and if they say yes then great, if they say no then you'd need to pay the additional.

While it may be confusing to you as a consumer it's just good to keep in mind that whatever a service provider wishes to charge for their time is their decision to make based on whatever relevant factors they have in their life.

I offer skype and phone together for 3 credits a minute - some take me up on it, some don't. There's no hard sell and no hard feelings in either direction because the terms of the virtual meeting are all there in black and white - take it or leave it.
Also a member may want a webcam session on skype but do not wish to have skype audio particularly if they live with others and do not want to disturb them but have no headphones.In this instance they may want to listen via phone instead which is often at an additional cost......x
I agree with Mistress Silk on this one. I always assumed the "Skype & phone" setting was for customers who didn't want to use Skype audio for any reason. I use audio during my standard Skype shows but my skype & phone price is a fair bit higher than just my Skype price, purely because I am not a huge fan of holding a phone while being on cam - I prefer to have both hands free for more exciting things!
For cows like you, yes it is.