Adultwork Forum

AWF Members

HTML Image as link

Qries

sex education in schools
last year the school my nephew goes to had trialled sex education from 12-16yr olds, about the dangers of sti's std's, showing them pictures etc of the different types

they were also shown how to put condoms on toys etc ....

now cause it caused a uproar, they have sent out letters if their child should be included

i think its a great idea but so many parents there are against it

would u object to it ?
We had similar stuff when I was at school. We had to put condoms on cucumbers. Was a good laugh if anything. I would honestly say at that age what you might catch when having sex would be the last thing on your mind.
I remember whenmy eldest was in junior school all the parents were sent a letter saying that they were holding a session on very basic sex education more to do with the body than actual sex. We were asked if we wanted to attend along with our children(apparently because of there age a parent had to be present) there was only me and 1 other mother that accepted the invitation.

Remember thinking at the time how naive the other parents must have been not wanting there children tp participate and learn
(11-07-2011, 17:05)robert841 Wrote: We had similar stuff when I was at school. We had to put condoms on cucumbers. Was a good laugh if anything. I would honestly say at that age what you might catch when having sex would be the last thing on your mind.

That's why education is a good idea, I bet a lot of naive teenagers would think twice about having unprotected sex if they had seen the photos of what can happen to your bits if you contract an STI.

I think sex education should be mandatory, or at least opt out rather than opt in. And it should be up to the parents to find out what the school policy is, rather than the school sending out hundreds of letters to semi educated numpty's with opinions!

For so many countries like Germany and Holland sex education at school is mandatory and they would laugh if they had send send letters out. Sex education will be brought up in biology and isn't done once but goes with the age of the children. Step by Step.....so I guess its not so embarrising to be hit all over sudden with that subject.
Sex education in schools is a joke, or at least the way it is handled at the moment it is. Sweettalk is right. The children are not prepared for it and because they make such a fuss about it and seperate the children by gender etc, it just becomes embarrasing for them.

Biology is the perfect setting to talk about bodily functions and sti's. How to prevent them should come under 'social studies' in secondary school, along with hygiene and periods etc.

Why is it more important to get the police in talking about drugs and anti social behaviour, that understanding your own body and how it functions? Surely if they are going to talk about class A drugs, they should be able to talk about STI's. No one sends out a letter when the police come in to discuss drugs, so why when talking about natural bodily functions?
Never had sex education when I went to school
but the young ladies in the neighbouring all girls school were
always willing to educate us and I must admit I was very eager to be taught
[Image: 1o8w5awg23aeedjpukvy.jpg]

exactly if i knew about condoms etc i wouldnt have got pregnant so young
When I was a venture scout (from the age of 15) we had a nurse come and see us and she showed us how to use condoms and why we need to use them. Actually thinking back to it, every one was quite well behaved, although we did titter a bit. It was nearly 3 years later before I had sex, but I had already got some condoms (mind you it was probably out of date by the time I used it), but none the less, it was used and that is because I new what I was doing and didn't have to feel stupid about using it.

I find when you are younger it is oftent the case of saying nothing and hope no one will realise you don't have a clue what is going on, or learn as it happens kind of thing, which you just can't do when it comes to sex, as it only takes once to end up with a life changing experience.
Sex education? What was that? In my day (no tittering!) we never had that. I can also remember my Dad saying to me that he reckoned that I already knew more than him so he wasnt going to bother either!

Difficult to believe but I didnt really know what the hell it was all about - was a later starter (21) but have been trying to make up time ever since!

Sex education should be mandatory if only to get the message across about STD's and other nasties and the need for contraception.

We also need to get the message across to Teenage girls that getting pregnant may well get you a place to live but it really isnt clever. Lost it with my daughter who had that attitude (seemed she got it from her Mother) and have now despaired with her and she no longer lives with me.