Adultwork Forum

AWF Members

HTML Image as link

Qries

bt scam
I read this on my personal fb, but thought id share it here too

Received a phone call from BT, informing me that he was disconnecting me because of an unpaid bill.. He demanded payment immediately of £31.00 or it would be £ 118.00 to re-connect at a later date. The guy wasn't even fazed when I told him I was with Virgin Media, allegedly VM have to pay BT a percentage for line rental! I asked the guy's name - he gave me the very 'English' John Peacock with a very 'African' accent - & phone number -0800 0800 152. Obviously the fellow realized I didn't believe his story, so offered to demonstrate that he was from BT. I asked how & he told me to hang up & try phoning someone - he would disconnect my phone to prevent this. AND HE DID !! My phone was dead - no engaged tone, nothing - until he phoned me again. Very pleased with himself, he asked if that was enough proof that he was with BT. I asked how the payment was to be made & he said credit card, there & then. I said that I didn't know how he'd done it, but I h...ad absolutely no intention of paying him, I didn't believe his name or that he worked for BT. He hung up. I dialed 1471 -number withheld I phoned his fictitious 0800 number - not recognized. So I phoned the police to let them know. I wasn't the first! It's only just started apparently, but it is escalating. Their advice was to let as many people as possible know of this scam. The fact that the phone does go off would probably convince some people it's real, so please make as many friends & family aware of this. How is it done? This is good but not that clever. He gave the wrong number - it should have been 0800 800 152 which takes you through to BT Business. The cutting off of the line is very simple, he stays on the line with the mute button on and you can't dial out - but he can hear you trying. (This is because the person who initiates a call is the one to terminate it). When you stop trying he cuts off and immediately calls back. You could almost be convinced! The sad thing is that it is so simple that it will certainly fool many. By the way this is not about getting the cash as this would not get past merchant services - it is all about getting the credit card details which include the security number, to be used for larger purchases.
Wowww this is shocking. I probably would've fallen for this. Thanks for the post .

❤ ❤ ❤ http://www.adultwork.com/1839252 ❤ ❤ ❤

I thought he would of used a landline jamming device (quite easy to buy online apparently)

Thanks for the tip off though!
Thanks x

We get all sorts of scam calls and I happily tell them what I think of them. You get that time lag before they start talking, and they call me Mrs (my partner's surname) but my surname is different. It's the same with cold callers trying to sell us stuff, I tell them that Mrs x doesn't exist or doesn't live here...one day I'll burst into tears and say how he won't marry me.

I'm tempted to let the conservatory and loft conversion guys come round to give us a quote...we live in a 1st floor flat, I wouldn't mind a conservatory on stilts but I think the old lady upstairs would object to a loft conversion.
Adultwork's Classy_Katy

On twitter @ClassyKatyxxx
if he called you from a landline he probably just stayed on the line. thats how i used to deal with any nuisance calls - if you were going to heavy breathe me back in the day you were going to get a big bill.

scary though, there will be wee old biddies who get scammed by this.
find me on adultwork http://www.adultwork.com/1166027

Call me on, 07930693406 xx
for normal cold callers (kitchens/PPI etc), we have a competition going in my house to see who can keep them on the line the longest - childish, i know, simple pleasures.
find me on adultwork http://www.adultwork.com/1166027

Call me on, 07930693406 xx
(18-03-2013, 11:04)x Connie x Wrote: for normal cold callers (kitchens/PPI etc), we have a competition going in my house to see who can keep them on the line the longest - childish, i know, simple pleasures.

hahaha that is giving me an idea . Next time I get one selling double glazed windows, I will ask if their have a deal on, for pork sausiges or other silly stuff.

❤ ❤ ❤ http://www.adultwork.com/1839252 ❤ ❤ ❤

There is another variant of this, when they ask you to hang up and call back, the use a recording of a dial tone and ring tone...

They keep your phone line open in the same way (ie not hanging up when you do, then when they hear the phone pick up they play a recording of a dialling tone for a second or two, and then when you finish dialling they play a couple of seconds of ring tone. The really clever ones then have someone else to answer the phone, you ask for the first person by name and they then put you through to the right agent.... very sneaky.

Been around since 2009 apparently! http://www.hoax-slayer.com/bt-unpaid-bil...scam.shtml

I would have totally fallen for that if they called me!

There has been another one going round for years, and they actually phoned me the other day. He only got to the first sentence "hello, im from (cant remember where) and its about your home computer, i have reason to believe you have a virus" At this point I told the "pathetic little conman, youve picked the wrong house this time, now f off". But ive been told they ask you to put ur pc on and do various things, things happen that should happen, but they tell you this indicates a virus and then presumeably they have access to your pc, may be get your bank details when ur online shopping etc