Adultwork Forum
relocating with a job - Printable Version

+- Adultwork Forum (https://adultworkforum.com)
+-- Forum: General (Public) (https://adultworkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (Public) (https://adultworkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: relocating with a job (/showthread.php?tid=1048)

Pages: 1 2 3

relocating with a job - abcdef - 25-07-2011

bit of advice can employers give u 48hrs notice to relocate for your job or be able to terminate your contract even though it doesnt mention relocation in the contract

RE: relocating with a job - jayzee77 - 25-07-2011

I would have thought they have to give you reasonable notice, i.e a month so that you have time to object to any changes. Does it state anything in the contract of employment?

RE: relocating with a job - monty69 - 25-07-2011

(25-07-2011, 16:46)lolo Wrote: bit of advice can employers give u 48hrs notice to relocate for your job or be able to terminate your contract even though it doesnt mention relocation in the contract

It does depend on what is in your contract of employment. It can also depend on how long you have been working for that company. Best advice is get straight down the C.A.B. and see what they say, taking with you you C. of E.

Hope that helps

RE: relocating with a job - abcdef - 25-07-2011

my son has only been working with them for a month now they want him to move to fareham
i'll get him to phone them as they close here at 3pm

RE: relocating with a job - jayzee77 - 25-07-2011

i would think they would need to offer a relocation package, if it is mile away from where he is,

nope i think fareham is near portsmouth or is my geography out, they want him to be there for wednesday, iv told him to look for something else

RE: relocating with a job - sarahxxx - 25-07-2011

(25-07-2011, 17:10)lolo Wrote: my son has only been working with them for a month now they want him to move to fareham

It would depend on contract etc and if he is still on a probation period. Legal / CAB advice is best in situations like this, everybody has a different situation.

It also depends on how much they value him as an employee or if they simply want to lose staff.

Sarah

probation lasted 2 weeks, nothing i can see in his contract but i dont know if the scottish branch is closing

RE: relocating with a job - MrSmith767 - 25-07-2011

Fareham is halfway between Southampton and Portsmouth. It's a driving nightmare. It's a Navy town too, so lots of matelots in all the pubs.

Your son really needs to check all the terms and conditions in his contract (possibly with a lawyer) however 48 hours seems unreasonable.

Are they going to accommodate him? 48 hours isn't enough time to arrange somewhere to live.

If he has to quit he could be able to make a constructive dismissal claim against them.

RE: relocating with a job - Emily of Halifax - 25-07-2011

(25-07-2011, 18:25)MrSmith767 Wrote: Fareham is halfway between Southampton and Portsmouth. It's a driving nightmare. It's a Navy town too, so lots of matelots in all the pubs.

Your son really needs to check all the terms and conditions in his contract (possibly with a lawyer) however 48 hours seems unreasonable.

Are they going to accommodate him? 48 hours isn't enough time to arrange somewhere to live.

If he has to quit he could be able to make a constructive dismissal claim against them.

Another thing to add is are they willing to pay his travelling costs with it being such short notice and do they want him there on a permenent basis.

I vaguely remember something about( but not to do with relocation) if an employer wants to reduce you hours/pay they have to give you 6 weeks notice this is a very vague recolection so may not be truelly accurate but surely there must be something within the law that should cover this. What if say he was a single father with a child relocating would not be possible in that situation so it cant be 1 rule for a young single lad and 1 for another he really needs to look into it